Thursday, December 25, 2008

12/25: "You're just not my keg of beer!"

-To set the stage briefly--I spent this Christmas with my little bro and my mom, my first without Dad (the divorce papers got signed on Monday) and my older bro (the East Bay has claimed him.) Because Pops is no longer embodying Santa, and because my mom is both too modest and too broke to fill her own stocking, Santa-for-Mom duty fell on me this year. It's one thing to give a gift, but, I learned, another entirely to fill someone's stocking and write a note in elaborate curlicue handwriting, especially when the someone has been doing the same for you without an expectation of the same in return for 22 years. Who knew the Magic of Christmas ACTUALLY EXISTED?

-I got some yarn, and I'm making a huge Norski-style stocking cap that says "(Isherwood/Auden protege and current favorite poetical read) THOM GUNN IS NUMBER ONE" on it and has little men holding hands with little hearts around them.

2 comments:

heile said...

http://vimeo.com/2655049

Maggie said...

Listen cooti (a favorite among word verification jibberish so far, which I just had to slip into my comment), I'm dangerously jealous of your projected thom gunn hat. I had no idea Ish had the dish!